The Bachelor of Arts Program in Art History requires a total of 48 credit hours earned in Art History and creative Art courses, with a minimum grade of C in all major area courses.
Please also consult the Art History Academic Map.
ART HISTORY TOTAL: 39 Hours
6 credit hours (2 courses) – To be taken as early as possible in the student’s development.
- ARH 2050 History and Criticism of Art I
Introduction to Prehistoric through Medieval Art (3 credit hours)
- ARH 2051 History and Criticism of Art II
Introduction to Renaissance through Modern Art (3 credit hours)
A minimum of 24 credit hours (8 courses) of upper level art history courses.
- Art History courses at the 4000 level. At least two of these courses must be in World Arts. All Ancient Art courses at the 3000-level and above are considered advanced. Students not minoring in Museum Studies may apply one internship (ARH 4941) toward the upper-level course requirement. AND
- ARH 3800 Art History Seminar (3 credit hours) or other approved seminar.
Eighteen credit hours in art history must be completed prior to enrolling in the seminar. Only one ARH 3800 seminar may be counted toward the major.
Professional Training Courses
- SPC 2067 (3 credit hours)
Communication for Art and Design (meets university oral competency requirement).
- ARH 2814 (3 credit hours)
Information Technology for Art Historians (meets university computer competency requirement).
STUDIO ART: 9 Hours
Nine credit hours (3 courses) in Studio Art. The following three-credit courses have no prerequisites, however any three offered by the Department of Art will suffice:
- ART 1201C – Basic Two-Dimensional Design
- ART 1300C – Drawing I (for non-art majors)
- ART 2003C – Survey of Studio Art Practices
- ART 2203 – Three-Dimensional Foundations
Students also majoring in Textiles, Interior Design or Apparel Design and Technology may substitute courses from other departments with permission of the Undergraduate Advisor.
Minimum Program Requirements – SUMMARY
- Total hours required 120
- Liberal Studies 36*
- Major Coursework 48*
- Minor Coursework 0
- Foreign Language 0-12, depending on placement
- Computer Skills 0 beyond the major
- Oral Communication Competency 0 beyond the major
- Electives to bring total hours to 120
- Up to 9 hours of major coursework may also be applied to Liberal Studies requirements*
- A minimum of 45 hours at the 3000 level or above, 30 of which must be taken at this University.
- Half of the major course semester hours must be completed in residence at this university.
- The final 30 hours must be completed in residence at this university.
- To graduate, students must receive a minimum grade of “C” or better (“C–” is not acceptable) in all courses required for the major, except foreign language.
For more information about these requirements, see FSU’s Undergraduate Requirements page.
Undergraduate majors should consult with one of the following advisors:
1019 William Johnston Building
Dr. Lauren Weingarden
2036 William Johnston Building