Skip to main content

This is your Donation message.

History of the Department

This page is in development in the summer of 2021. If you have information or photos to share, please email Jean Hudson.

Timeline

1905–06 School of Art established at the Florida Female College.
1909 Florida Female College becomes Florida State College for Women.
1923–24 School of Art becomes Department of Art, under College of Arts and Sciences.
1940–43 Gulnar Bosch serves as associate professor of art history in Department of Art at Florida State College for Women.
1947 Florida State College for Women becomes co-ed Florida State University.
1948 First Annual History of Art Seminar held at The Ringling Museum in Sarasota, hosted by FSU and The Ringling.
1960 Gulnar Bosch returns to Florida State University as professor of art history and head of Department of Art; art history program is a division of the department and an area of specialization for bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
1966 FSU Florence Study Center founded through efforts of Gulnar Bosch and other members of the College of Arts and Sciences; first Florence program participants assist in cleanup of Florence after flood of 1966.
1970 Department of Art offers a doctoral degree in art history.
1970-71 Department of Art moves from Westcott Building into newly constructed Fine Arts Building.
1972-78 Department of Art chaired by Jerry Draper.
1973 School of Visual Arts founded with acting Dean Jerry Draper; departments and programs include art history, studio art, art education and craft design, interior design, dance, and the University Art Gallery.
1976 First art history dissertation submitted to the Department of Art.
1979 Department of Art reorganized into two departments: Art and Art History.
1979-96 Department of Art History chaired by Patricia Rose; department grows from four to ten full-time, two visiting, and four courtesy faculty members.
1981 First publication of Athanoran internationally distributed periodical of graduate student papers published by the Department of Art History and the Museum of Fine Arts..
1982 First Art History Graduate Student Symposium held on Tallahassee campus in April.
1992 Introduction of keynote speakers of international reputation at Graduate Student Symposium.
1996-2006 Department of Art History chaired by Paula Gerson.
1996 Art History Media Center established; former Slide Library facilities refocused on digital media production and delivery.
2002 Rose Library established with initial collection of 1,200 art history books donated by Professor Emerita Patricia Rose.
2004 Introduction of new international program in Paris: Artistic Avant-Garde, a focused-curriculum art history summer program.
2006 School renamed College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance.
2007 Introduction of new international program London: World Capital of Art, a focused-curriculum art history summer program.
2006–09 Department of Art History chaired by Richard Emmerson; department grows to 13 full-time, one visiting, and five courtesy faculty.
2009–10 Department of Art History co-chaired by Adam Jolles and Jack Freiberg.
2011 Department of Art History moves to newly renovated William Johnston Building.
2011– Department chaired by Adam Jolles.
2014 College renamed College of Fine Arts.
2015 First Art History undergraduate Museum Object exhibition installed in WJB Gallery.
2018 FSU Florence Program International Teaching Appointment inaugurated for Art History doctoral students.
2019 Athanor converted from print to online publication.
2021 37th annual Art History Graduate Symposium organized entirely by graduate students and held entirely online.

 

 

>