As the 2023 Florida Regular Legislative Session approaches, the Secretary of the Senate’s Office is seeking individuals to provide administrative support prior to and during session, which runs March 7–May 5, 2023.
The Senate Secretary’s Office is responsible for transmitting bills to the House of Representatives. Each bill is transmitted from one house to the other accompanied by a document (message) that states the action taken on the bill. The Message Clerk will be involved in drafting messages, delivering and receiving messages, and following the action of the Senate and House of Representatives.
The Senate Journal is a constitutionally required record of the Senate. Proofreaders assist journal writers by verifying a variety of documents and publications. Proofreaders may also assist in research, transcription, and other administrative duties.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
• Proficiency in spelling and grammar;
• Strong mental retention; and
• Availability to work 40+ hours per week.
Tasks include but are not limited to:
• Monitoring and supporting operations on the Senate floor;
• Proofreading a variety of legislative materials;
• Maintaining deadlines at the supervisor’s request; and
• Performing other varied administrative duties as assigned.
These positions will begin in February, and continue through May 5, 2023, or longer depending on the position. The work hours are from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. weekdays. Hours may be longer some days depending on the committee meeting schedule and the session calendar. These are paid, temporary positions and provide outstanding experience in the legislative environment. The pay is $15.00 per hour.
If interested in applying for these positions, please complete the legislative application (PDF below) and return it via email to:
Office of the Senate Secretary